Saturday, September 8, 2012

Birthing Experience

When I went into labor, I thought I had an upset stomach because it was not my due date.  I went to the bathroom and nothing.  I went back to bed and 15 minutes later it was the same thing.  It kept reoccurring and I sat up in the bed and watched television because I did not want to wake anyone up for a false alarm. So I thought, but it was not, I was in labor.  My labor was 12 hours long and the pain to me was a killer and yes I asked for medication.  After my baby was born, I felt a great sense of relief. After they cleaned her up and I held her in my arms it was a moment that I have cherished.  The labor pains was well worth the bundle of joy.

The significant difference in the health care system in China and the Western countries are quite different, especially outside of Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou.  These cities demand for more modern care of western doctors who speaks English. Routine and free prenatal care is available in second and third-tier cities but are limited.  Pregnant women have to keep track and record data and vital signs in a red prenatal care book they received from the hospital in the beginning of their pregnancy. C-sections jumped from 5% in the 1970's to 50% in 2007.  Another concern is the Chinese physicians to respond to neonatal complications or emergencies.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophia,
    Isn't it funny that no matter what we go through during labor, once they put that little bundle in our arms we become completely at peace with the world. I found myself calm, happy, and relieved at the end of each of my deliveries and apologizing to everyone in the room. I was quite mean when I was in pain!
    I found it interesting that they keep prenatal care books in China. Pregnant women have always been advised to keep a journal and I notice now many tweet or blog their experience, but the doctors and hospitals here don't require you to document. They do ask you to write down your questions for next time, but I think the prenatal care book is an excellent idea.
    I also find it odd in my travels how many countries require their citizens to learn English, although it may not be the first language or primary language of that country. Meanwhile, the US is so egocentric and xenophobic that we don't require our citizens to learn any language other than English, yet we consider ourselves a big "Melting Pot" of the world.

    ReplyDelete